Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Ginger Beer Comeback!


I have been drinking quite a lot of ginger beer recently and buying packs of it on special in the supermarket. However, last week my daughter reminded me about the ginger beer I used to make on the farm when they were young.

The recipe was given to me by an old friend, Margaret Brown, years ago and so I have started making it again! It’s a good reminder that tucked away in your old trusty recipe books full of handwritten recipes, from mothers, grandmothers and aunts, there are some great ones that need to be revisited from time to time. Also maybe it’s a good time for me to put them into a computer so they don’t get lost forever among the loose pages covered in butter stains and coffee marks!

This drink is easy, refreshing and cost effective.

Ginger Beer

5 litres warm water
3½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon citric acid
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon natural lemon essence
1 teaspoon dry yeast
Mix together and leave 2 hours stirring occasionally. Then bottle, leaving space in bottles – leave 3 days before drinking.

5 comments:

No. 4 said...

Oh how I love this! I might just have to make this when the sweltering Islamabad summer rocks around.

opalr said...

3 and 1/2 cups of sugar!!

Carine C. said...

I really love this recipe. Great!

Unknown said...

Hi,
As I myself being a food lover, I was checking out for some awesome food blogs in Google in order to gain some idea on creating a new food blog of mine. Your blog is good & I liked your blog however I don't know why but after reading your blog instead of creating a new food blog, I end up creating a new social media blog (www.iueus.blogspot.com)....
After all Good Food + Good People = Good Life (Formula & Equation of a Happy Life)
About me:
About Me: My name is “CHIRANTAN”. It’s a difficult name to pronounce. Some of my friends call me “CHIROO”. I also have a nickname “JAI”. You can call me by any name whichever you feel comfortable.

Unknown said...

Ginger bear is useful for cough curing during winter season. Ginger is a natural antibiotic.
The information is useful for health.
From Kashish Food A Pulses importer in New Zealand http://www.kashishfood.co.nz/pulse.html